7/30/2004

Like A Eunuch At An Orgy

What's the point of any governmental regulation of sex? Seriously. Moral regulation, i.e. pontification from a religious institution is one thing. State regulation is something altogether different. Nobody stepped to me on prostitution...whatever. Except for the element of taxation, I don't see how the government has a stake in it one way or the other.  This goes even bigger than that, though.  Texas had a law banning sodomy.  How's the state gonna decide that only coitus is legal? Or in this case, how's the state gonna decide that sex toys are illegal without a prescription? I have my uncertainties about the calls for smaller government, because as I've said many times, I think there are definitely some things that the government is better-suited to handle than private entities. There aren't many, but there are some. Determining the manner in which two grown-ups (or one, as the case may be) carry on is not one of them. I guess I just don't get it.