6/14/2004

The Best Ever

I'm a music fan. Maybe to be more accurate, I should say I like music in general, but I'm a straight-up fan of certain genres and artists. There's a reason I titled my blog "Stereo Describes My Scenario." One, because I like music that much, but two, because it's a Public Enemy lyric. I try to get artists I like into whatever I'm working on, either by title or content. Once I called a paper I wrote on tornado formation and development, "Black Cloud in the Hour of Chaos." I said all that say that music is more than just racket in the background for me. I pay attention and break it down. When I'm talking to somebody who can break it down with me, we can chew it all the way to the last morsel. With that in mind, run and get the Polygrip. If you're looking for politics, check back later this week. For now, it's all about the best song by the greatest R&B songwriter ever. If I was better acquainted with more genres of music, I'd just call him the best ever and leave it at that. As it is, I'll just say he's in the pantheon. Stevie Wonder has a tremendous catalog. As with every artist, some parts are stronger than others, but even his wack records (and there are a couple) are better than most artists' best material. I'm not sure how his record sales went, but to critics and all the fans I know, his strongest period was right after he took full creative control of his material. The first four albums, Music Of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, and Fulfillingness' First Finale represent a string of near-perfect albums. Music of my Mind has my favorite Stevie song (although not the one I think is his best), Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You.). It was a solid effort, but it didn't begin to hint at what was to come. Talking Book took it up a level with Superstition, You And I (you know I had to mention that one. Michael sang it at Thelma's wedding.), and Looking For Another Pure Love. Innervisions gets me in trouble because a lot of my friends keep trying to tell me that it's a perfect album, but I just don't agree. Don't get me wrong, it's staggeringly good, and I don't think there is any fast-forward material on there (which by my own definition makes it a perfect album, I guess), but it just doesn't crystallize as perfect for me. Even though there's not a bad song on there, none of them really stand out and bop me over the head. (That sequence from Living For the City to Higher Ground is particularly good, though.) Fulfillingness' First Finale is another album that would be solid on its own, but coming in the string of great music (in consecutive years!!) makes it even that much better. Kinda like Pippen was a great player, but when he was with Jordan, he was one of the best ever. (Ask me one time why, even though I think Mike may have been the greatest baller ever, and Pip may have played himself out of the top 50 with his performances in Houston and Portland, Mike's greatness was just as dependent on Pip as Pip's was on Mike. Somebody ask me about that one time.) After that came The Album, Songs In The Key of Life. Here is my dog in the "best Stevie album" fight. To really represent it properly, I'm gonna break it down into sides, like it was when I first got my chubby little fingers on it. SIDE 1 Love's In Need of Love Today Have A Talk With God Village Ghetto Land Contusion Sir Duke The first two are solid songs; if they were players on Madden, they would go about 80-85. Like I said before, for any other artist, these would represent the apex of their work. For Stevie, they're good, if unspectacular, especially on this album. With Village Ghetto Land, the album starts to pick up. This is the song those rappers who claim they're just "describing life as it really is" wish they could write. Stevie paints a crisp, detailed picture here, and he can't even see! I'll be reiterating that throughout this piece, especially as I really break down lyrics, but think about that. In Village Ghetto Land, he writes, "Children play with rusted cars/ sores cover their hands" and he can't even see. I knew kids that played with rusted cars and they did have sores on their hands. I didn't put the two together then, and I doubt that I would even notice it now. That's amazing. Contusion is a strong instrumental jam that my mother didn't like. She said it should've been called "Coufusion." I thought it was hot, though. Then, on Sir Duke, he ratchets it up to 10. SIDE 2 I Wish Knocks Me Off My Feet Pasttime Paradise Summer Soft Ordinary Pain Perfection. I don't really know what else to say. Side 2 of SITKOL is unbeatable in terms of both songs and sequencing. I could try to name standouts, because like I mentioned when I wrote about this in Singer-Songwriters, I did try to kick some lines from Knocks Me Off My Feet to the girl I liked when I was in 3rd grade, but I wore out the whole side of the record. The end of the first verse of Summer Soft actually used to make me sad, when he's like, "...taking with her summer's play..." If I was still teaching, I would bring these songs in and make the kids break down all the poetic devices Stevie uses. SIDE 3 Isn't She Lovely Joy Inside My Tears Black Man Perfection again. Isn't She Lovely, I don't even need to write about that. Everybody knows that song, and everybody who has a daughter wishes ze had written it. Of these three, Joy Inside My Tears is my favorite, though. I don't know why, but I've always liked melancholy songs. (I guess that's why Here My Dear is my favorite Marvin Gaye album, with You Can Leave, But It's Going To Cost You being my favorite song.) Joy Inside My Tears is 6:30 of pleasure. Then comes Black Man, which every American History class should listen to. Many times, it seems like some conservatives think multiculturalism is a bad thing. That's wrong. The oxymoronic hegemony that has developed in the name of multiculturalism is bad, but so is acting like the only people who have ever contributed anything to America are of European ancestry. It's about dispensing the facts, not telling the stories that show me and my people in the best light. SIDE 4 Ngiculea – Es Una Historia - I Am Singing If It's Magic As Another Star Not content to just talk about multiculti, Stevie actually practices what he preaches, singing in 3 languages on Ngiculea... Are you kiddin me?! Then comes If It's Magic, which is one of the few songs for which I think the word "beautiful" is really appropriate. The harp, the sentiments, that song is synergistic. Finally, Another Star, is funny: lyrically, it's melancholy, but it's an upbeat, danceable tune. (I know because I was at a club one time and they played it and I danced the whole 8 minutes, sweating my money blue.) SOMETHING EXTRA - remember the little record that came in there? Saturn Ebony Eyes All Day Sucker Easy Goin' Evening (My Mama's Call) Just closes out a perfect album. Especially Easy Goin' Evening, which is what sunset on a warm, summer evening would sound like. If my life had a soundtrack, All Day Sucker would be the love theme. Of course, all those other songs can't really be perfect. On the Madden scale, they're all 99s, but for As we have to take up another level. As is that geeked up version of yourself you make in create-a-player when you pull all the sliders to 99. When I wrote about this before, I made note of the fact that Stevie wrote songs that women would like to hear that men would actually say. I mean, I could talk and talk and talk about this song, but I will just post the lyrics and let them speak for themselves, highlighting passages I think are particularly interesting. But as you read, remember that this stuff was written by a man who cannot see with his natural eyes. Un-believable. So now that I'm shuttin up, go get your copy of Songs In The Key of Life (if you don’t have it, you ain't got no collection, you just got a bunch'a records.) and get groovin'. As around the sun the earth knows she's revolving And the rosebuds know to bloom in early May Just as hate knows love's the cure You can rest your mind assured That I'll be loving you always Now can't reveal the mystery of tomorrow But in passing we'll grow older every day Just as all is born is new You know what I say is true That I'll be loving you always Until the rainbow burns the stars out in the sky ALWAYS Until the ocean covers every mountain high ALWAYS Until the dolphin flies and parrots live at sea ALWAYS Until we dream of life and life becomes a dream Did you know that true love asks for nothing Her acceptance is the way we pay Did you know that life has given love a guarantee To last through forever and another day Just as time knew to move on since the beginning And the seasons know exactly when to change Just as kindness knows no shame Know through all your joy and pain That I'll be loving you always As today I know I'm living but tomorrow Could make me the past but that I mustn't fear For I'll know deep in my mind The love of me I've left behind Cause I'll be loving you always Until the day is night and night becomes the day ALWAYS Until the trees and sea just up and fly away ALWAYS Until the day that 8x8x8 is 4 ALWAYS Until the day that is the day that are no more Did you know you're loved by somebody? Until the day the earth starts turning right to left ALWAYS Until the earth just for the sun denies itself I'll loving you forever Until dear Mother Nature says her work is through ALWAYS Until the day that you are me and I am you AL~~~~~WA~~~~~~~~~AA~~~~~~~~~AA~~~ Until the rainbow burns the stars out in the sky ~~~~~~~~~~AA~~~~~~~~~AA~~~~~~~~~AA~~~ Until the ocean covers every mountain high ~~~AA~~~~~~~~~AA~~~~~~~~~YS We all know sometimes life's hates and troubles Can make you wish you were born in another time and space But you can bet your life times that and twice its double That God knew exactly where he wanted you to be placed So make sure when you say you're in it but not of it You're not helping to make this earth a place sometimes called Hell Change your words into truths and then change that truth into love And maybe our children's grandchildren And their great-great grandchildren will tell I'll be loving you Until the rainbow burns the stars out in the sky Loving you Until the ocean covers every mountain high Loving you Until the dolphin flies and parrots live at sea Loving you Until we dream of life and life becomes a dream Be loving you Until the day is night and night becomes the day Loving you Until the trees and seas up, up and fly away Loving you Until the day that 8x8x8x8 is 4 Loving you Until the day that is the day that are no more Loving you Until the day the earth starts turning right to left Be loving you Until the earth just for the sun denies itself Loving you Until dear Mother Nature says her work is through Loving you Until the day that you are me and I am you Now ain't that loving you Until the rainbow burns the stars out in the sky Ain't that loving you Until the ocean covers every mountain high And I've got to say always Until the dolphin flies and parrots live at sea AL~~~~~~~~~WA~~~~~~~~~~~~AYS Until we dream of life and life becomes a dream Um AL~~~~~~~~~WA~~~~~~~~~~~~AYS Until the day is night and night becomes the day AL~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~WA~~~~~~~~~AYS Until the trees and sea just up and fly away AL~~~~~WA~~~~~~~~~~AA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Until the day that 8x8x8 is 4 ~~~~~~~~AA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~AA~~~~~~~~~~~~AA Until the day that is the day that are no more AA~~~~~~~~~~~~AA~~~~AA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~AYS Until the day the earth starts turning right to left AL~~~~~~~~WA~~~~~~A~~~~~~~~~~~~AA Until the earth just for the sun denies itself ~~~~~~AA~~~~~~~~AA~~~~~~AA~~~~~~AYS Until dear Mother Nature says her work is through AL~~~~WAYS Until the day that you are me and I am you Until the rainbow burns the stars out in the sky Until the ocean covers every mountain high Until the dolphin flies and parrots live at sea Until we dream of life and life becomes a dream Until the day is night and night becomes the day Until the trees and sea just up and fly away Until the day that 8x8x8 is 4 Until the day that is the day that are no more Until the day the earth starts turning right to left Until the earth just for the sun denies itself Until dear Mother Nature says her work is through Until the day that you are me and I am you