8/24/2004

Politics, Man!

I've probably said 100 times that I don't do politics. There are too many things in this world that I enjoy and too much that I really care about for me to hitch myself to a party. That doesn't mean I won't express political thoughts, but even then, my intent is to to frame issues as challenges to be worked on, not ideas to volleyed. Don't know if I always succeed, but that's my goal, at least. I like to talk politics at the concrete level, where ideology takes on much less significance. Having said all that, I know some people who loooove to talk politics. If you're at my crib, then I know you've been around the corner to La Shawn's. If you haven't been already, then you need to check out the rest of the members of the Conservative Brotherhood, too. There are some sharp political minds in there. They got that. I bring all that up because I got wind of this editorial by Robert Oliver, Save The Drama For Your Mama, the other day and it's definitely worth reading. It separates the truth from the rhetoric with regards to the Democratic Party's claims of historic inclusiveness. When pressed, I can do politics, and if I did it would probably look something like this piece, but since there are people who actually talking Republican v. Democrat, I'll leave it to them. But here's a quote from the article that had me rolling on the floor laughing. And Bill Clinton (who was sued while Governor of Arkansas for violating the 1965 Voting Rights Act and signed into law "Confederate Flag Day") is a member of the Arkansas Black Hall of Fame? If Clinton was our first Black president, wasn’t he an Uncle Tom and an Oreo cookie? Now that's funny.