8/18/2004

Summer Jams

It's August, the days are getting shorter, and the semester is about to start. Summer will be over soon. Buck Whylin' by Terminator X came on the ole MP3 player and it reminded me that Valley of the Jeep Beets was my album in the summer of '91. I listened to some others, but I literally wore the writing clean off that tape before the summer was out. That got me thinking: how far could I go back? I think I bought my first recorded music in 1987, so I'll start there. 1987 - Bigger And Deffer - LL Cool J 1988 - Benny Carter Meets Oscar Peterson - Benny Carter, feat. Oscar Peterson Quartet 1989 - It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy 1990 - Fear of a Black Planet - Public Enemy 1991 - Valley of the Jeep Beets - Terminator X 1992 - The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest 1993 - Slaughta House - Masta Ace 1994 - Street Level - The Beatnuts 1995 - Return To The 36 Chambers (The Dirty Version) - Ol' Dirty Bastard 1996 - Stakes Is High - De La Soul 1997 - Funky Good Time Anthology - The J.B.s 1998 - Here, My Dear - Marvin Gaye 1999 - Sons of Soul - Tony Toni Tone 2000 - At The Turn of the Century, disc 1 - Stevie Wonder 2001 - Purposeful Design - Fred Hammond In the spring of 2002, I bought a (then) brawny computer with CD burning capabilities, so I stopped listening to pre-recorded albums. I had ripped most of my CDs to the hard drive, so the concept of listening to a whole album kind of stopped right there. What follows are my top 3 jams, as evidenced by being burned to multiple discs. 2002 Scorpio - Dennis Coffey Ashley's Roach Clip - Soul Searchers Watch Out - De La soul 2003 Simon Says (Remix) - Pharoahe Monch A Touch of Jazz (Playin' Kinda Ruff pt 2) - Zapp Thought @ Work - The Roots 2004 Get Out of My Life Woman - Joe Williams He Can Hear Me Sing - Milton Brunson One Monkey Don't Stop No Show - Joe Tex