4/05/2004

First Iteration of Perfect Albums

Bear in mind that this is just a first approximation. When I really have some time to think about this, I'll come up with a mathematical way ascertaining perfection, if there really is such a thing. These are just some albums that don't seem to have any bad songs. Maybe some people will disagree; I probably will in a few days. Also, I should note that there are some albums I don't have yet, but based on what I have heard of them, they could be strong contenders. • Walter Hawkins – Love Alive, • Walter Hawkins - Love Alive II
For those of you unfamiliar with Gospel records, the two Walter Hawkins records are fantastic. I don't know if they're available on CD or not; I would imagine that they are, or maybe in some type of compilation. Whatever. Find them and get them. I have a pet theory about Gospel music that I'll probably kick around at some point, but suffice it to say that for me, these albums represent the last era where Gospel music was pure.
• Michael Jackson – Thriller
Say what you want about Mike now, but back in '83...(okay, now I'm feeling old) There is not a bad song on this record.
• Prince – Purple Rain
Prince has a lotta good albums but this one is the best. Maybe one day I'll print the text of that backwards part at the end of "Darling Nikki."
• Stevie Wonder – Innervisions • Stevie Wonder – Songs In the Key of Life
I thought about putting all the albums from Talking Book to SITKOL on here, but among those four, Innervisions and Songs stand out. The wild thing about Songs is that I literally grew up with that record. It came out when I was two and I remember listening to that at some point during every subsequent year of my life. It's kinda like my mother in that it wasn't until I got older that I really understood how amazing it really is.
Near-Perfect • Public Enemy – Nation of Millions : Show 'em Wha'cha Got • De La Soul: - De La Soul is Dead: Kicked Out the House • Mos Def & Talib Kweli – Black Star : B Boys Will B Boys • Maxwell – Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite : Suitelady (?) Maybe
  • Ice Cube – Amerikkka's Most Wanted?
  • Marvin Gaye – What's Goin' On?
  • ATCQ – The Low End Theory?
  • Outkast - Stankonia?