4/08/2004

Random Playlists

I have a fairly decent music collection covering all media, from records to mp3s. Right now, I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of "Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman)" by Joe Tex. The B-side of that 45, which I haven't seen in years, is "I Mess Up Everything I Get My Hands On." We'll see what happens with that. Anyway, spurred on by some blogs I visited this week, I decided to put my the MP3 player on the laptop on random and see what the first 50 songs would be. Sometime soon, I will do the same thing on my desktop. The results will be interesting for two reasons. First, I have a lot more music on my desktop than I do on the lap (because I have twice as much HD space). Second, I primarily use Winamp on the lap while I use Media Player on the desktop. So while there are no built-in controls for uniformity, that's not really that important. I just want to see what songs come up. Bearing in mind, however, that there are fewer artists on the lap, so they're more likely to turn up more often. Here's the first list from the lap: 1. Maxwell – Sumthin' Sumthin' 2. Roy Ayers – Red, Black, & Green 3. The Meters – Africa 4. Prince – I Wanna Be Your Lover 5. Common – Funky For You 6. Biggie – Niggas Bleed 7. Jay-Z – Friend or Foe 8. EPMD – Crossover 9. Beatles – Blackbird 10. Stevie Wonder – Living For the City 11. Michael Jackson – The Way You Make Me Feel 12. Oscar Peterson Trio – Yours Is My Heart 13. OutKast – Two Dope Boys In a Cadillac 14. OutKast – Snappin' and Trappin' 15. Ice Cube feat. Chuck D – Endangered Species 16. Fred Hammond – Our Father 17. Ray Charles – In The Heat of the Night 18. Tramaine – How I Got Over 19. L.L. Cool J – Fast Peg 20. The Temptations – I Could Never Love Another 21. Tramaine – What Shall I Do? 22. Prince – Alphabet Street 23. A Tribe Called Quest – Check The Rhyme 24. Jay-Z – Sunshine 25. OutKast – Ghetto Muzik 26. Fred Hammond – Willing to Follow 27. the Brothers Johnson – Come Together 28. Leaders Of the New School – Transformers 29. L.L. Cool J – Jingling Baby 30. Bar-Kays – Soul Finger 31. Lauryn Hill – Nothing Even Matters 32. Stevie Wonder – Ribbon In The Sky 33. EPMD – Can't Hear Nothin' But The Music 34. Take 6 – Delilah 35. Funkadelic – Back In Our Minds 36. Stevie Wonder – All Day Sucker 37. James Brown – Evil 38. Biggie, feat. Method Man – The What 39. Stop the Violence All-Stars – Self Destruction 40. Stevie Wonder – Yester-me, Yester-you, Yesterday 41. Ohio Players –O-H-I-O 42. Bob James – Caribbean Nights 43. Fred Hammond – Prodigal Son 44. Stevie Wonder – I Wish 45. Commissioned – More Than I 46. Biggie – Big Poppa 47. Parliament – Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk 48. EPMD – Symphony 49. Walter Hawkins – God Is Standing By 50. Pharcyde – It's Jiggaboo Time I was kind of surprised at this because even though I don't have as much on the lap as I have on the desk, it's still a fairly formidable collection. I didn't think I would have so many repeat artists. This is probably a decent little playlist, though. I wonder what I would write about a person if I had to make a personality profile based on what they're listening to. That's a good fiction exercise. I may run it in my notebook.